I received these books from Quarto Knows for review. These books are perfect for gifting to Dad if he loves to cook on the grill. They will make him even more of a BBQ King at your family gatherings!
Food by Fire - Grilling and BBQ With Derek Wolf of Over the Fire Cooking ($30): Join live fire cooking expert Derek Wolf to discover the secrets to great flavor.
Master the art of starting cooking fires and learn about the best fuel sources. Then tackle a variety of recipes using direct heat and indirect heat, mastering skillets, skewers and more along the way.
Derek has been researching global fire cooking techniques for the better part of a decade, traveling around the world to learn about dishes like lamb al asador and brick pressed chicken. He shares it all in this book. If you’re looking to try cooking on the coals with herb butter oysters or picanha like a Brazilian steakhouse, you’ve come to the right place. Recipes include:
- Herb Brush Basted Bone In Ribeye
- Leaning Salmon Plank with Lemon Dill Sauce
- Al Pastor Skewered Tacos
- Coal Roasted Lobster Tails
- Dirty Chipotle NY Strips
- Spicy Rotisserie Beef Ribs
- Salt-Baked Red Snapper
- Charred and Glazed Pineapple
On top of all that, you’ll find recipes for killer sides like Grilled Bacon Wrapped Asparagus, Cowboy Broiled Cheesy Broccoli and Charred Brussel Sprouts, as well as unique sauces like Spicy Cilantro Chimichurri and Maple Bourbon Glaze. It’s everything you need to cook your next meal by fire.
BBQ Revolution - Innovative Barbecue Recipes from an All Star Pitmaster ($30): From classic, competition winning recipes to boundary pushing 'que, join the founder of Meat Mitch competition BBQ team and Char Bar Smoked Meat and Amusements for a BBQ Revolution!
Mitch Benjamin has helped open BBQ restaurants in Paris, served his smoked meat to baseball legends at Yankee Stadium, and taken home some serious hardware from just about every major BBQ competition. In this book, he throws open the doors to his kitchen (or as he calls it, his "Mitchen") and takes BBQ on a wild ride! The book starts with his behind the scenes look at competition BBQ and smoking, then winds its way through chapters both classic and creative:
- Learn the ins and outs of competition BBQ, including some of Mitch's award winning recipes for sauces, rubs and meats from brisket and burnt ends to short ribs and pork butt.
- Take a trip behind the scenes of Kansas City's Char Bar, with some of their most popular recipes like their burnt heaven and smoked chicken nuggets. Mitch even breaks out the smoking gun for some smoked cocktails!
- Next up, some truly revolutionary BBQ. Leave your expectations at home as Mitch showcases recipes with reverse smoking, sous vide and other techniques. Master non-traditional mains including smoked salmon, jackfruit, bone marrow and much more.
- There's never "que" much of a good thing! In a full chapter on making the most of smoked meat, Mitch whips up Japanese steamed buns, candied pork belly and barbeque stuffed tacos, quiche and poutine.
- Last but not least, Mitch shares some of his legendary sides and "amusements." Think addictive pimiento cheese, deviled eggs, whoopie pies and more!